IMEI simply means International Mobile Equipment Identity Number of your phone and its a unique serial number which could help you find your Lost Android phone if it’s lost. Maybe your phone was snatched at gunpoint or you misplaced it or whatever way you lost it, it can be tracked and located once you know the IMEI. To locate your lost phone,you need to first know your IMEI. It’s very important.
Checking your IMEI number is pretty easy; you can dial *#06# to check yours. I’ll advise that you keep your IMEI number written in a safe place. In case you don’t have a copy, check your Google Dashboard for a record of it. But let me provide you with other methods of determining your mobile phone IMEI below;
Some Ways To Check Your Cell Phone IMEI
- Using this USSD code *#06#
- Look at the back of your phone or under the battery case
- Going to phone settings and taping on “about phone”
- For iPhone devices, you can also find your device IMEI using iTunes
- Checking the phone packaging and receipt of purchase
How To Track And Find A Stolen Mobile Phone
The procedure to get back your stolen mobile phone will take some time so you must be patient. First you need to go to the police station in your area and file a FIR that your mobile phone is stolen.
Then take the copy of this FIR and the IMEI number of your phone and contact the service provider of your phone. They will then help you track the mobile phone location.
They will also block the mobile phone, making it useless until it is found. Once you find it, you can request your service provider to white-list it again.
This procedure will work even if the SIM card of the phone is changed because all service providers use the same blacklist database.
How Phone Tracking Works
You probably already know that each mobile phone has a unique IMEI number. Whenever a mobile phone is switched on, this IMEI number is sent to Equipment Identity Register database. This database categorizes each phone in one of three categories: while listed, grey listed and black listed.
Your mobile service provider can block any mobile phone by putting its IMEI number in the black list. Once blacklisted, a mobile phone is useless as it cannot be used at all.
Your operator can also track the exact location of the mobile phone using its IMEI number using the Global Positioning System, thus helping you find the lost or stolen mobile phone. However, since a lot of phones get stolen these days, mobile operators will track a phone from its IMEI number only in the case of some special situation.
Note that when you contact your mobile service provider to block the mobile phone with its IMEI number, don’t forget to ask them to block your SIM also.
- SEE ALSO: Activate MTN Data Bonus Without IMEI
Alternative Method To Find your Lost Android phone using IMEI number
- In your Android phone, start from Settings then, to Location and toggle and leave it on always.
- Move to the data connection and enable mobile data (always leave on too).
- Continue and login to Google Dashboard when you misplace or lose your phone.
- When you are logged in, the Dashboard will contact your phone using the IMEI, show you a map and an address where the phone is presently at.
- Once Google Dashboard has located your phone, it gives you the option to call, lock or erase it.
In case your phone was stolen, lock it or wipe it. If you have only misplaced your phone, use the Ring option to call the phone and trace it around the room.
I hope this post is helpful. Now you know how to track and locate your lost phone.